Thursday 30 September 2010

What's the point?

I took the opportunity to do some TV upgrades when I moved into the mansion. Which raised the question of To HD or Not To HD. Did I want a telly the size of a desktop - an actual desk not the desktop you get on a computer - which I could view from across one of the rooms of the mansion and still read captions on the screen? Or even something the size of a wall? Or would I be better off with a 32" or 36" TV and a comfortable chair about 6 feet away, which was the system I developed for my 25" widescreen TV.

The question prompted some market research on myself. And I found that while I watched some sports coverage of the sort available on HD channels, most of my viewing was of the minor league digital channels. The only time I watch the BBC channels is for Grands Prix and MotoGP, I rarely engage with ITV 1 and Channel 4, but I do watch a fair bit of rubbish on Channel 5.

Of the stuff watched on the minor digital channels, most of them don't have an HD version and quite a lot of the vintage programmes I watch are a 3 x 4 island in the middle of the 9 x 16 widescreen. So my conclusion was that there's no point in going HD and HUGE screen because the content isn't there.

Same with 3D TV, which is being launched with the same sense of optimism as attended the launching of the Titanic. Or Pale Pink Ed, the wrong Miliband. There isn't the content, all the old stuff I watch ain't in 3D and never will be, and you have to wear the stupid glasses, which give you migraines. So if you ever catch me watching TV, I'll be the bloke in the comfy chair parked 6 feet from a 36", non-HD model.

No comments:

Post a Comment