Sunday 5 September 2010

Loose End & New Stuff

Going back to the memoirs briefly, I think the world should also know my part in saving the world by deflecting 3 killer asteroids and a comet in the 1990s. But seriously, those pictures of the earthquake in New Zealand set me thinking about how many I’ve been in. Would you believe 11? None of any great consequence, though. The 'worst' in this country was being 12 miles or so from the epicenter of one a couple of years ago, which was 5 on the Richter scale. Just a bit of structural damage and nobody killed.

A couple of years before that, I was on a job in Athens when there was a Richter 7 earthquake. Luckily, it was over 100 miles away and it felt no more severe than a good earthquake in England. You were quivered for about 10-15 seconds, you had time to think, "Cool! I’m in an earthquake!" and have a look around to see if lights were swinging and stuff like that. But there was never any sense of, "Oh, sod it! I’m going to die and I still have some money in the bank."

The most surprising picture from New Zealand was the one of the railway lines with side-to-side waves in them, which made them look like the track for a train in a theme park. But if people insist on building them in areas subject to violent geological events, it’s always going to be good for photographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment