Monday 23 August 2010

Home Base

I found myself experiencing a certain paralysis when the money was in the bank, cleared and available to spend. I didn’t get close to the top end of the miserable pittance the financial advisor reckoned I should trust myself with until I’d become used to having enough cash to splurge and walk away from disasters.

I bought a 26" TV and some DVDs, and that was about it for the first week. Apart from a case of Ballantine’s whisky, which I’ve not seen in the shops for ages, but which I must have been able to buy once because I still have some of the bottles around, loaded down with bits of lead foil from wine bottles (something you don’t get now) and used as book-ends.

The mansion was something the FA didn’t choke on, to my surprise. He even thought it would be a good investment. 8 bedrooms, not counting the staff quarters and 14 main rooms. I guess I just wanted to be able to walk ten yards indoors without tripping over furniture or banging into a wall. It’s not quite up to the Nickelback song “Rockstar” - a bathroom I can play baseball in, and so on - but it’s a good step up from a suburban semi.

No comments:

Post a Comment