Saturday 28 August 2010

Close, But No Cigar For Me

I’ve watched it on TV but I never thought anyone does weather-chasing in this country. But my Gadgets Guy, Steve, put me in touch with Jake to win a bet. Jake has actually got a minivan loaded with radar gear, and he cruises around Britain in his spare time, looking for extreme weather pictures for newspapers, TV and various agencies. During the summer, he also tries to be near anywhere that looks like dropping a tornado.

He got lucky last weekend; he got some fairly profitable pictures of the twister that formed over Stanford-le-Hope in Essex last Saturday, but it didn’t touch down and it did him out of Pictures of Destruction. But he had a real pay-day the following Monday. Lots of wreckage in Great Livermere in Suffolk and he got some excellent live action video of the demolition job.

I’ve been riding around with him for the last few days. No tornadoes but we did see two pretty good waterspouts playing tag on the Channel for about five or ten minutes. Jake was pleased with the video he shot but I'm still hoping to see a decent tornado the next time things look promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment