Thursday 8 December 2016

Not exactly secure security

I made an online payment of several thousand pounds yesterday using my debit card, and at the MasterCard verification stage, I got a panel inviting me to fill in just about all the card data except the 16-digit number; that’s security number, expiry, the bank’s sort code, my account number and my name “as it appears on the card”.
    While I was doing all this, I started thinking that none of the information I was supplying wouldn’t be available to someone who’d managed to steal my card and use it online before I noticed the loss. No secret MasterCard password for big payments, which wouldn’t be available to the thief, for instance.
    I was being given nothing more than a façade of security; and I did not find that at all reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment